I was invited to the preview show of ‘Unbelievable’ at Colchester’s Mercury Theatre. This is a magic show like no other, created by stage and screen phenomenon Derren Brown, and long-time collaborators Andy Nyman and Andrew O’Connor. Playing at Colchester’s Mercury Theatre and Manchester’s Palace Theatres before opening in London’s West End at the Criterion Theatre on 19 September 2023.
The Company of multi-talented performers bring to life on stage an evening of bewildering trickery fusing the best of theatre and music with jaw dropping illusions never before seen on a West End stage. The cast – UNBELIEVABLE’s Magic Company, will play multiple roles while the audience will be the production’s beating heart.
What's in this post? Click Here...
So what is Derren Brown’s Unbelievable Magic Show all about? Find out everything you need to know about the show and UK tour!
‘Unbelievable’ is Magic Reimagined live on stage. Get ready to experience a captivating blend of astonishing illusions and awe-inspiring tricks that will leave you both amazed and delighted. The ensemble cast showcases their exceptional multi-talents, transitioning between playing musical instruments, singing and executing mind-bending magic acts. As the curtains rise, your senses are immediately engaged by a lone chair positioned centre stage, adorned with a playful sign proclaiming it the ‘Best Seat in the House.’ This clever setup encourages a daring audience member to claim this coveted spot before the performance even commences. The show combines well known illusions and even gives the audience members an insight into the ‘method’ of how they are created. This was indeed one of my favourite parts of the show.
Whether you’re a devoted fan of magic or a newcomer to the world of illusion, this show is an absolute must-see. Prepare to leave the theatre with your mind expanded, your sense of wonder rekindled and your belief in the impossible reaffirmed.
My thoughts on the show
Walking into the show, I was filled with a mix of excitement and uncertainty about what lay ahead. With high hopes and an eager anticipation, I am pleased to declare that my expectations were more than satisfied. The experience proved to be not only thought-provoking but also a journey of wonder. The incorporation of historical facts about magic tricks and illusions, along with insights into their ‘method’ was particularly interesting. The show was nothing short of a satisfying delight, leaving me captivated from start to finish. My audible gasps and shared laughter with fellow audience members demonstrates the show’s ability to evoke a wide range of emotions.
In conclusion, “Unbelievable Magic Show” is an exhilarating spectacle that will undoubtedly leave you awestruck. It succeeds in seamlessly combining live music, song, and innovative staging with mind-bending illusions and magic acts. The first act shines with unmatched brilliance, though the brevity of the second act left room for a desire for more. I wholeheartedly recommend experiencing “Unbelievable.” It is a show that promises to amaze, entertain, and enchant, leaving you with cherished memories of an unforgettable evening.
Meet The Cast & Team
- Samuel Creasey: Winner of Critics Circle Theatre Awards 2021 Most Promising Newcomer; Young Shepherd in The Winter’s Tale at Shakespeare’s Globe and Malcolm Polstead in The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage atThe Bridge Theatre.
- Simon Lipkin: Buddy in Elf The Musical at Dominion Theatre; Brian in Brian & Roger at Menier Chocolate Factory and Mr Poppy in Nativity! At Eventim Apollo.
- Hannah Price: Lauren and Super Swing in Kinky Boots at the Queens Theatre, Hornchurch; Vanity in Beauty and the Beast at City Varieties, Leeds and Maria Elena Holly in Buddy – The Buddy Holly Story in theUK Tour.
- Rhys Shone: Stomp in the West End and on the world tour, Pepper in the inaugural cast of Mamma Mia! On the Royal Caribbean.
The show will include five West End debuts from upcoming stage stars including:
- Laura Andresen Guimarães: Othello at The Watermill Theatre; Swallows & Armenians at Cumbria Opera Group; and Off the Block at Rabble Theatre 2022 & 2023.
- Alexander Bean: the Voice of Good Morning Britain, One Man Two Guvnors at Bolton Octagon, Liverpool Playhouse and The Tempest for Wildcard Theatre at The Pleasance.
- Samuel Brenton: NewsRevue at Canal Café Theatre.
- Yolanda Ovide: winner of Best Supporting Actress in a Drama at The British Web Awards in 2021 for her performance of Juliet in The Shakespeare Republic #AllTheWebsAStage; Groan Ups, UK Tour; Jitney at The Old Vic.
- Emily Redlaff: Singer and dancer for P&O Britannia Cruise Line and Choir during One Young World Opening Ceremony, Royal Albert Hall.
- Izalni Batista Nascimento Junior: Brazilian trumpet player who has played with artists and musical groups including: Friendly Fires, Urban Soul Orchestra, Maelo Ruiz, TV and film includes: The Voice UK, The Crown, Pretty Red Dress and See How They Run.
Created, written and directed by UK stage and screen phenomenon Derren Brown, and long-time collaborators Andy Nyman and Andrew O’Connor.
Full Creative Team includes:
- Conceived by Andrew O’Connor
- Directed and Written by Derren Brown, Andy Nyman and Andrew O’Connor
- Steinmeyer Design: Illusion Designer
- Hayley Grindle: Set & Costume Design
- Natasha Chivers: Lighting Design
- Nicola T. Chang: Sound Design
- Simon Wainwright: Projection Design
- Dannielle ‘Rhimes’ Lecointe: Choreography and Movement
- Charlie O’Connor: Music
- Harry Blumenau: Casting Director
- Harry De Cruz: Magic Consultant
- Kenny Wax Ltd: General Management
- Mercury Theatre Colchester: Co-Producer
- John Dalston: Executive Producer
Everything you need to know to book tickets for Unbelievable:
Unbelievable Show UK Tour Dates and to book:
- Mercury Theatre, Balkerne Gate, Colchester CO1 1PT – 28 July 2023 to 26 August 2023
- Tickets starting from £15.00 (inc. £1.50 ticket levy)
- Palace Theatre, 97 Oxford St, Manchester, M1 6FT – 29 August 2023 to 02 September 2023
- Tickets starting from £18.00 (subject to a £3.80 transaction fee)
- Criterion Theatre, 218 – 223 Piccadilly, St. James’s, London, W1J 9HR – 19 September 2023 to 07 April 2024 (Previews are 19-24 September)
- Tickets starting from £20.00 (plus £1.25 restoration levy)
Please note that Derren Brown does not appear on stage in UNBELIEVABLE.
Content warnings: May contain flashing lights, haze, loud noises and jeopardy.
What age is suitable for the show?
Age Recommendation: 9+
What is the expected running time?
Approx 2 hour 20 including interval.
I was invited to the press night of the Unbelievable Magic Show but all thoughts and opinions are strictly my own.
Thank you for reading ‘Unbelievable Magic Show – A UK Tour Review’.