I was invited to the press night of ‘The Bodyguard Musical’ at London’s New Wimbledon Theatre. Running until 11th March at New Wimbledon Theatre in London before continuing on its UK Tour until December 2023. An adaptation of The Bodyguard movie, this is an amazing show! Starring Pussycat Doll, and multi-platinum Grammy nominated Melody Thornton as Rachel Marron.
What's in this post? Click Here...
So what is The Bodyguard Musical all about? Find out everything you need to know about the show and UK tour!
The Bodyguard Musical follows the story of Rachel Marrón, a music superstar that receives death threats from a stalker. The bodyguard, Frank Farmer is recruited to protect her and her family… initially not well received by Rachel, she resists his presence. Gradually she realises her need for him and their relationship grows.
The Bodyguard Musical it includes some of Whitney Houston’s biggest hits, including Queen of the Night, So Emotional, One Moment in Time, Saving All My Love, Run to You, I Have Nothing, Greatest Love Of All, Million Dollar Bill, I Wanna Dance With Somebody and one of the greatest hit songs of all time – I Will Always Love You.
Be prepared for a few jump scares during the show, it literally starts with a bang and you are thrown straight into the action. It is filled with amazing performances, plenty of high energy, dancing and singing. There literally isn’t a dull moment. The Bodyguard adaptation closely follows the film and it is expertly done.
We meet Rachel Marron and her family in her house during a rehearsal and Frank Farmer manages to easily gain access proving how lax her security currently is. Initially Rachel isn’t aware of how much danger her and her family are in and resists Frank being there. She is extremely sassy and gives Frank plenty of cheek. Eventually she warms to Frank and you see their relationship blossom. She begins to rely on Frank yet he is concerned that in becoming close to Rachel, he is unable to protect her efficiently. Rachel’s sister also grows fond of Frank and some jealousy issues arise. In between all the high energy musical numbers are some dramatic and intense scenes involving the stalker. It is a great watch.
Melody Thornton who played Rachel is a complete powerhouse, nailing every Whitney track and doing this whilst performing a full on dance routine! I couldn’t take my eyes off her! I don’t know how she could still sing whilst dancing like that. Emily-Mae who plays Rachel’s sister Nicki was fabulous in her role… she has the most incredible voice, so smooth and effortless! We also have to mention Reneo who played Fletcher, Rachel’s son, what a talented young boy with a huge voice!
My thoughts on the show
With so many Whitney Houston hit songs throughout, you will certainly leave the theatre with them stuck in your head! This is an incredible show, with high energy performances, amazing music and a few jump scares! This theatre adaption of the film is a complete success. I’ve seen several theatre adaptions of some of my favourite films and they have fallen short but The Bodyguard was everything I hoped it would be and more! What a fantastic show! It is simply dazzling, such a fun and incredibly entertaining production. This is definitely a show to add to your list! A must view!!!
Everything you need to know to book tickets for The Bodyguard Musical UK Tour:
Meet The Cast & Team
- Melody Thornton – Rachel Marron
- Ayden Callaghan – Frank Farmer
- Emily-Mae – Nicki Marron
- Samantha Mbolekwa – Ensemble / Alternate Rachel Marron
- James Groom – Sy Spector
- John Macaulay – Bill Devaney
- Graham Elwell – Tony
- Marios Nicolaides – The Stalker
- Fergal Coghlan – Ray Court
- Kaylenn Aires Fonseca – Fletcher
- Frankie Keita – Fletcher
- Reneo Kusi-Appauh – Fletcher
- Iesa Miller – Fletcher
- Alexandros Beshonges – Ensemble
- Kayne Gordon – Ensemble
- Jack Hardwick – Ensemble
- James-Lee Haris – Swing / Dance Captain
- Kalisha Johnson – Ensemble
- Kellie Rhianne – Ensemble
- Oliver Roll – Swing
- Charlotte Scally – Swing
- Emma Jane Smith – Ensemble
- Yiota Theo – Swing/Dance Captain
- Marco Venturini – Swing
Tour Dates and to book:
- Wimbledon New Wimbledon Theatre – Mon 06 Mar – Sat 11 Mar 2023
- Liverpool – Liverpool Empire – Mon 20 Mar – Sat 25 Mar 2023
- Dartford – The Orchard Theatre – Mon 27 Mar – Sat 01 Apr 2023
- Manchester – Palace Theatre – Mon 03 Apr – Sat 15 Apr 2023
- Leicester – Curve Leicester – Mon 17 Apr – Sat 22 Apr 2023
- Cardiff – Wales Millennium Centre – Mon 17 Apr – Sat 22 Apr 2023
- Aberdeen – His Majesty’s Theatre – Tue 02 May – Sat 06 May 2023
- Wolverhampton – Grand Theatre – Tue 09 May – Sat 13 May 2023
- Bromley – Churchill Theatre – Mon 15 May – Sat 20 May 2023
- Southend-on-Sea – Cliffs Pavilion – Mon 22 May – Sat 27 May 2023
- Milton Keynes – Milton Keynes Theatre – Mon 29 May – Sat 03 Jun 2023
- Leeds – The Grand Theatre – Mon 12 Jun – Sat 17 Jun 2023
- Llandudno – Venue Cymru – Mon 19 Jun – Sat 24 Jun 2023
- Plymouth – Theatre Royal Plymouth – Tue 27 Jun – Sat 01 Jul 2023
- Nottingham – Theatre Royal – Mon 03 Jul – Sat 08 Jul 2023
- Hull – New Theatre – Mon 10 Jul – Sat 15 Jul 2023
- Bristol – Hippodrome Theatre – Mon 17 Jul – Sat 22 Jul 2023
- Crawley – The Hawth – Mon 24 Jul – Sat 29 Jul 2023
- Bournemouth – Pavilion Theatre – Mon 07 Aug – Sat 12 Aug 2023
- Newcastle Upon Tyne – Theatre Royal – Tue 15 Aug – Sat 19 Aug 2023
- Cheltenham – Everyman Theatre Mon 21 Aug – Sat 26 Aug 2023
- Norwich – Theatre Royal – Mon 28 Aug – Sat 02 Sep 2023
- Dublin – Bord Gáis Energy Theatre – Mon 18 Sep – Sat 23 Sep 2023
- Belfast – Grand Opera House – Mon 25 Sep – Sat 30 Sep 2023
- Inverness – Eden Court – Tue 03 Oct – Sat 07 Oct 2023
- Eastbourne – Congress Theatre – Mon 16 Oct – Sat 21 Oct 2023
- Woking – New Victoria Theatre – Mon 23 Oct – Sat 28 Oct 2023
- Southampton – Mayflower Theatre – Mon 30 Oct – Sat 04 Nov 2023
- Blackpool – Opera House Winter Gardens – Mon 06 Nov – Sat 11 Nov 2023
- Truro – Hall For Cornwall – Tue 14 Nov – Sat 18 Nov 2023
- Oxford – New Theatre Oxford – Mon 27 Nov – Sat 02 Dec 2023
- Birmingham – The Alexandra – Mon 04 Dec – Sat 30 Dec 2023
What age is suitable for the show?
What is the expected running time?
Approximately 2 hours and 10 minutes including an interval.
Contains haze/smoke effects and strobe lighting, pyrotechnic effects and confetti cannons (fired on to the stage). Replica guns will be used in the production. A performer with a replica gun with a laser sight will enter through the orchestra pit and point the laser on to stage and throughout the auditorium.
I was invited to the press night of The Bodyguard Muscial but all thoughts and opinions are strictly my own.
Thank you for reading ‘The Bodyguard Musical UK Tour- A London Review’